Good Morning Everyone,
It’s been a while since I’ve last written but this process is one that I feel needs to be well documented. As a disclaimer ManageIQ’s upgrade process is terrible as it is not possible nor is it supported to do an in place upgrade. One more note, There is currently a bug preventing reports (Manage IQ Fine-3 specifically) from being exported; information on that bug can be found here : https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1471014. On to the show.
1. Login to your old appliance. In my case its Botvinnik but theoretically it could be any release.
2. Do a database dump (Make sure you have the appropriate space first).
3. Download, install, configure your new appliance http://manageiq.org/download/
##########From this point forward you are working ONLY ON THE NEW APPLIANCE#############
4. On the New appliance (fine-3 in my case) stop the evmserver service
5. Drop the current DB that came on the new appliance
#NOTE: Make sure you have enough space for this following part. You will likely need to increase the disk size somewhere on your machine to store the database backup in step 2.
6. SCP the files from the new old machine to the new machine
7. Create a new DB on the New Appliance
8. Restore your database that you copied over
9. On your new appliance move to the vmdb directory by simply typing “vmdb”
10. Run the following commands in order
11. At this point I ran into an error regarding some v2_key issue. To get around this do the following
12. One more rake to run
13. Start the evm service if it didn’t work in step 10 (give the appliance 5 minutes or so to get going)
After this you should have all of your data from your old production MIQ appliance on your new shiny upgraded appliance.